4.12.2011

Thoreau

I watched Into The Wild a few nights ago and was thus inspired to look up some Thoreau quotes.
(I definitely plan on reading his book 'Walden' when I am done with all this exam crap)
anyway here are some that I really liked. These also get me super stoked for the road trip I will be taking into the great sublime aka East Coast.

I have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers. A man thinking or working is always alone, let him be where he will

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

How can any man be weak who dares to be at all?

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.

Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it, unearth it, and gnaw it still.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world.

Be not simply good, be good for something.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.

The bluebird carries the sky on his back.

The universe is wider than our views of it.

Things do not change; we change.

There is no remedy for love but to love more.

Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.

To be awake is to be alive

there are sosososo many more...

2 comments:

  1. I have so many of these written down in my quote book. You have good taste in words.
    LOVE Thoreau.
    Reading Walden right now and it is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps I also am (extremely) excited for The Great Sublime !

    ReplyDelete